- Over 15 years within Information Technology.
- Currently oversees the software development activities of over 70 people.
- Experience launching products including the myDesire2Learn.com personal learning network.
- An effective communicator and leader; successfully led bid teams to win several provincial RFPs.
Engineering Director, Desire2Learn May 2012 – Present
A market focused engineering director fostering teams to deliver innovative software solutions. Responsible for maintenance and improving all in-market products for the company. Monitor emerging technology trends and provide guidance in setting technology standards and goals for teams. Work with Solutions Managers to scope projects appropriately for team size. Ensure development standards are adhered to (e.g. code reviews, unit tests, best practices). My accomplishments in this role include:
- Launched the myDesire2Learn.com personal learning network. Championed the its development, provided cross-functional leadership for successful launch.
- Assisted in the reorganization of the development group. Moved from product based to initiative focused to align activities closer to company objectives.
- Recognized as leading the 2 of the most successful development teams through creating a culture of product ownership and resulting in being responsible for all in-market products.
- Providing Privacy overviews and documenting recommended product changes to address legislative and market expectations.
Technical Product Manager, Desire2Learn November 2010 – May 2012
Acting as the Agile Product Owner for development teams, establish and groom the user story backlog; clarify requirements and acceptance criteria. Writing and maintaining user personas and aligning them with user stories allowing designers and developers to focus their work; provide feedback and approve Ux designs. Collaborating with marketing and sales teams to properly position products against competitors. Present and facilitate discussions at industry events.
- Launched several integration products: Kaltura Video Platform, Google Apps, and Adobe Connect into the Learning Management Platform.
- Research potential partners, evaluate technology fit, and develop integration strategy.
- Co-Chair of the IMS Global Learning Information Services working group to standardize data exchange between learning management systems and student information systems.
Product Manager, MD Physician Services, A Canadian Medical Company April 2006 – November 2010
This position requires understanding market needs to ensure development teams are building medical records products that achieve market expectations. Perform competitive analysis, present findings to company executives and make recommendations for product direction. Accomplishments in this role include:
- Successfully led RFP teams to open 3 provincial markets for clinical management systems.
- Leadership focal point for product launches through coordinating multi-stakeholder teams and ensuring market readiness.
- Developed business case for the next generation of products and services being delivered on a Software as a Service platform.
- Represent and promote the company in industry working groups such as ITAC, Canada Health Infoway and projects with Canadian Institute for Health Information.
PRINCIPAL CONSULTANT / PRODUCT SUPPORT CONSULTANT, SYBASE (AN SAP COMPANY) SEPTEMBER 1997 – APRIL 2006
Facilitating discussions with clients to understand business objectives and build software requirement specifications and data models for mobile enterprise solutions. Design and develop custom solutions for mobile platforms (e.g. PalmOS, Symbian, and WinCE) that integrate with existing enterprise systems using Sybase technologies. My writing and presentation experiences within this role includes:
- Developed mobile RFID inventory management prototype for reducing return merchandise verification processing time.
- Lead developer for creating a mobile solution for SAP R/3 for tracking time of field employees.
- Assisted in developing the architecture for a mobile consumer application for a European Financial Institution using the OFX standard.
- Facilitating product training in Hong Kong and Singapore offices.
- Certified with the Pragmatic Marketing Framework.
- Enterprise Application development background using C, Java, J2EE, SQL and Web based Technologies.
- Mobile platform development experience (Palm, Windows Mobile, and some J2ME).
- Project Management Experience.
- 2013 – Fierce Conversations, Fierce.
- 2009 – Product Launch Essentials / Requirements that Work, Pragmatic Marketing.
- 2008 – ITIL Foundations v3, Pink Elephant.
- 2007 – Pragmatic Marketing Fundamentals, Pragmatic Marketing.
- 2002 – Mastering Modern Project Management, Project Management Partners.
- 2002 – Requirements Gathering using Use Cases, Rational University.
- 1997 – Honors Computing and Information Science, Minor in Business Administration, University of Guelph.